Wednesday, April 15, 2015

HWP: Prayer for Courage

Monday was the feast of Pope St. Martin I, who reigned as Supreme Pontiff in the 7th Century. The imperial powers of the day began to enforce policies that were not in keeping with the Christian faith and made such known. In standing up for the faith, Pope Martin put himself in great danger. Soon after making his stance known and defying the government, he was arrested and exiled, where he suffered great pains during imprisonment and abandonment by those closest to him, who wouldn't even answer his letters or send any food for him to survive, ultimately leading to his death several years later. In the footsteps of the first Apostles who boldly preached the Gospel in a world opposed to it, Pope St. Martin I won the martyr's crown and remains a witness for us to take courage in the face of even the strongest of worldly oppositions. With that in mind, we pray today:

Dear God, give me courage,
for perhaps I lack it more than anything else.
I need courage before men against their threats
and against their seductions.
I need courage to bear unkindness,
mockery, contradiction.
I need courage to fight against the devil,
against terrors and troubles, temptations,
attractions, darkness and false lights,
against tears, depression, and above all fear.
I need Your help, dear God.
Strengthen me with Your love and Your grace.
Console me with Your blessed Presence
and grant me the courage to persevere
until I am with You forever in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment