Wednesday, April 10, 2013

HWP: O Domina Mea

Happy Easter! For the past couple of months I've been reflecting much more on the role that Our Blessed Mother has in my own life and in all of our lives, so my prayers have taken on a much more Marian theme - both spontaneously and in rote prayer. One of my favorite practices is the triple-recitation of the Hail Mary with the O Domina Mea as a concluding prayer. I was introduced to this threefold petition to Mary via a book on chastity, wherein the author recounts the story of people being freed from sinful lifestyles by the daily recitation of this prayer. As I'm always in the market for a powerful tool against sin, I took up the practice myself and have found that it fits perfectly with the Marian spirituality as encouraged by St. Louis de Montfort and which I attempt to live. So without further rambling on my part...

Recite the Hail Mary three times, praying after each the simple prayer: 
By thy Holy and Immaculate Conception, O Mary, purify my body and sanctify my soul.

Then conclude with the O Domina Mea:
My Queen, my Mother, I give myself entirely to you, 
and to show my devotion to you I consecrate to you this day (or night) 
my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my heart, and my whole body, without reserve. 
Wherefore, good Mother, as I am your own, 
keep me and guard me as your property and possession. 
Amen.

***It is a good practice to make the Sign of the Cross over your eyes/ears/mouth/heart similar to the way they are signed during Mass at the Beginning of the Gospel and then to make the regular Sign of the Cross over yourself as 'my whole body'. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment